A Pregnancy Devotional: Living in Me

10/7/2013



1 Corinthians 6:19 tells us that God's Holy Spirit dwells within those of us who are believers in Christ. A few weeks ago we were focusing on Bible verses about the Holy Spirit and that one stood out to me. "Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you?"



I am 31 weeks pregnant. The idea of "living in me" naturally went to thoughts of my unborn baby. My baby is living in me. I love my baby. I make choices daily that are based on what is best for my baby. Recently my doctors encouraged some changes in my diet because that is what would be "best for the baby." Of course, I comply, because as a loving mother I want what is best for my baby. I comply even if the changes are a bit uncomfortable, even if they "cramp my style" or cause me to give up some things I love or crave. 

Immediately upon having those thoughts, God brought about some questions to ask myself. 

Do I respond so quickly and appropriately to the promptings of the Holy Spirit who is living in me? 

When I feel His conviction, do I immediately change my ways to "do what is best" by Him?

Or do I somehow plug my ears to what He is saying, ignoring Him and what He is asking of me? Why? 

I love my baby and therefore do what is best for my baby who is living in me. If I love the Holy Spirit of God who lives in me, do I therefore respond to what He needs or asks of me or prompts me to do in the same manner as I do for my baby?

I know that the answer is no. That sometimes my actions indicate that I love my baby more than I love God. I act like I can pick and choose what promptings to obey, based solely on what is easier for me or more comfortable for me or fits with my schedule. 

The other incredible thing is that we need no interpreter, no testing to be done to figure out what the Holy Spirit needs or wants from us. The Bible makes it clear and He speaks directly to us. Unlike figuring out what is best for a baby, which requires medical tests and blood work and doctor's opinions, we need no mediator to hear from God through the Holy Spirit. He lives in us and we commune with Him. What a gift... and yet we squelch His voice so often.

Lord, make me mindful of Your Holy Spirit who lives in me. And not just mindful, but obedient to what He asks of me - whether it's a big thing or a little thing. I do care. And just as I would not neglect my baby or intentionally do something to harm my baby, I do not want to grieve Your Holy Spirit who lives in me. I do not want a hard heart to Your promptings. Help me in this area, I pray, Amen!

0 comments:

Post a Comment