Checking In: End-of-Year Update

12/15/2011

It's been many months since I've posted an update, but I think it's time to give an end-of-the-year update on how I've done in inching closer to the goals I set in early 2011.

Spiritual Goal: Read through the Bible this year. Bible reading has gone very well. This is the easiest goal to measure and I'm right on track to finish the Bible on December 31st. Throughout the year, I've been as much as 3 weeks behind in my reading but I've been able to catch up and move forward again. I am seeking a good devotional book that I will work through in 2012, as I will take the year off of the one-year Bible plan. But this year, I'm so thankful that I did this and was regularly amazed at God's timing by having a particular day's reading apply specifically to something I was dealing with that day. I think that as long as we're reading God's Word each day, He will do His part to drive it home and press it into our hearts.

Physical Goal: Lower my cholesterol and lose weight. I have to admit that I've been on and off and on and off the working-out bandwagon so many times this year. Prior to my miscarriage in June, I had a regular work out routine and was well on my way to making this goal a reality. After the miscarriage, though, my motivation took a nose dive and it still hasn't recovered. Fatigue, depression and physically recovering from a miscarriage kept me from my treadmill... a lot. Over the last 6 months, there have been a couple days each month that I've stepped onto the treadmill and even then it's been for a moderate walk but not a fast-paced work out. All that said, however, I have lost weight and I have lowered my cholesterol in 2011! Probably not to the degree I would've if I'd stuck with my plan for the entire year, but my cholesterol has gone from "high risk / needs improving" to "desirable." There is still more improvement needed, but I'm greatly encouraged to see that exercise and portion control CAN make a difference. My ultimate goal is to avoid cholesterol medication, though my genetics are working against me. I lost over 10 pounds this year and have kept it off, despite the lack of regular exercise the last few months. I've also introduced healthier foods (like barley, more beans, more fruits) into my family's diet this year, which is not only helping me with my physical goals but helping us all be healthier overall. So 2011 was a good year, with measurable steps in the direction of this goal.

Character Goal: Exercise more self-control (fewer angry outbursts, reign in my tongue, etc). I have floundered a lot in this area as well. I've had good days and I've had epic-fail days. It's just going to take time to cultivate this fruit-of-the-Spirit in my life. I would say that I've become a bit more humble about it, though. I've had to apologize to my children A LOT this year and generally it didn't take but a few minutes for me to realize the hurt my words/anger have caused and to apologize for it. So perhaps I could say that I've made some progress in this area, at least in terms of being aware of my actions and the pain that it causes others when I don't exercise self-control. I've made some baby steps forward, but I have a long way to go to reach this goal.

"If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time." I decided in January that this was my year to at least aim at something and see how close I could get. I'm glad I set some goals and I'm encouraged to see progress towards those goals, even if it's been slow. At least I'm moving in the right direction and am not at a stand-still.

Now I'm pondering what my goals should be for 2012. Do you have any goals - either from this year or that you want to work on for next year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment