Children's Reading List: All-of-a-Kind Family


6/28/2011

I had never heard of this book, All-of-a-Kind Family, until recently. I'm glad that I picked up and gave it a try because I really enjoyed it. Set in the early 1900s in New York, this book is full of family values and the allure of life in simpler times.

The main characters are the 5 young daughters of the family - Henny, Sarah, Ella, Charlotte and Gertie. They get into all kinds of mischief, but even in their mischief they are respectful and enjoy life at a pure and simple level. The family is Jewish, so the reader gets a glimpse into the daily life of a Jewish family, as holidays and Sabbath approach. This would be a great book to go along with a study on Jewish holidays and can certainly provide valuable insight even for Christ-followers.

I read this book on my own, to preview it before reading it to my daughter. Now that I have done so, I will either read it with her or have her read it on her own. There are a few other books that follow in this series, which we'll have to read as well.

Two thumbs up for All-of-a-Kind Family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment