Children's Reading List: The Courage of Sarah Noble


2/22/2011

Recently we read The Courage of Sarah Noble. I was surprised at how much I liked this book and wondered (as I have many times in the past) why I'd never read it before! There are so many wonderful books out there for children... I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world!

This book is short, making it easy to read in just one or two sittings. Sarah Noble is just 8 years old when she travels with her father to the site of what will be their new home. The setting is back in early America, early 1700s when the threat of an Indian attack was real. Sarah cooks for her father, while he works to build the family's new home. She befriends the nearby Indians and learns an important lesson - people are people, no matter where you go, no matter what they look like. When Sarah's father finishes the house (with the help of the Indians), he needs to return to get the rest of the family. He leaves Sarah in the care of his Indian friend. Eventually her father and the rest of her family return to live in the new house that her father had built.

Sarah faced many scary situations with courage and true bravery. Honestly I don't think I would've reacted with such courage had I been in those same situations... and she was only 8 years old! What a story... and it's true! Heart-warming and inspiring for young and old alike.

Perhaps I liked the story all the more because of the courage I lack... and the fact that my daughter is very much like me! This book made the point that you might just make a new friend or discover a whole new world if you have the courage to take the first step.

Two thumbs up for The Courage of Sarah Noble!

0 comments:

Post a Comment