A Tribute to Grandma Nellie

3/24/2011

My dear grandmother, Grandma Nellie, passed away yesterday.
She was 90 years old. She was such a gracious, humble lady. She provided a wonderful example of service to God, family and community. I could only wish to be such a wonderful mother and grandmother some day.

This is one of my favorite photos of me with my maternal grandparents (taken in 1998). Grandpa passed away just a few months before I got married in 2000.

Here is Grandma holding my son, in 2008.


I love the pictures I have of Grandma holding my babies. Here she is holding my baby girl, back in 2003.

Here she is with her 5 children. This picture was taken last summer, on her 90th birthday. I'm so glad they were all together with her to celebrate her last birthday on earth.


When she turned 89, we had a surprise birthday party for her. What a wonderful day that was! As many of her children and grandchildren and friends as could be there were there to celebrate her life. What a special day it was! Grandma was so humble - she couldn't believe that all of these people had gathered together just for her sake. We enjoyed poems written by various family members, a video slide show of pictures from Grandma's life and many tables full of Grandma's homemade items - from doll clothes to quilts, hand-written correspondences to embroidered dish towels.

Grandma's hands were always busy and productive... that is one thing I will never forget about her. Right to the end, she was busy making something to bless someone else. She had made over 10,000 quilts in her lifetime, donating almost all of them to world relief efforts through her church. She also stitched baby layettes to send overseas to needy countries. All of this done by a humble servant, in her basement sewing room, using donated rags and fabric. I cannot imagine the line of thousands of people who will greet her in heaven to say "Thank you" and "You made a difference to me, though I lived halfway across the world."



My grandma had only 1 daughter (who is my mother). My mother had only 1 daughter (me). And I have only 1 daughter (so far anyway). We had a special bond. We had this picture taken in 2009 showing all 4 of our hands together - Grandma, Mother, Myself and Daughter. Go here to read the story behind the picture.

Life is but a vapor. Here one moment and gone the next. Only what is done in light of eternity will matter at all in the end.

Thank you, Lord, for my dear Grandma Nellie. My life is much fuller and richer because of her. May I be such a servant, with a giving heart, doing the little bit I can do to show love and kindness in this world. Thank you, Father, for Grandma's life and testimony. In Jesus' name, Amen.

I will close with this poem - Only One Life - written by C. T. Studd.

Only One Life

Two little lines I heard one day, Traveling along life’s busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,’ twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e’er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, “twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say, “Thy will be done”;
And when at last I’ll hear the call, I know I’ll say ‘twas worth it all”;
Only one life,’ twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

poem written by C.T. Studd – missionary


0 comments:

Post a Comment