Recent Reads

1/8/2013

I've been in a reading mood lately, devouring a few books per week. Here are a few that have been on my bookshelf recently.


The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - I enjoyed this book immensely. I had never read it before but obtained a free audio version, so I didn't actually read it but listened to it. Well done. Very informative. Inspirational. Helps lead us down the path that led to the Holocaust - from Nazi occupation all the way to concentration camps. An incredible story of hope despite absolutely horrific circumstances.


Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell - written by a Navy Seal (no surprise that he swears like a sailor), it was eye-opening to read about all of the training one goes through to become a Navy Seal. Then Luttrell goes on to share his incredible personal story, with a tribute to his teammates who gave their last full measure of devotion for our freedoms. 


Service by Marcus Luttrell - I read as a follow-up to the previous book. It gives a little more detail to Luttrell's survival tale, but also is a tribute to many other service men and women (and wives left behind). Another great reminder of what our military endure on a regular basis, for our sakes. 


Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly - I read O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln a few months ago. I liked the Kennedy book more. Insightful. Gives a glimpse into the life of a President and a Vice President, as well as the life of Lee Harvey Oswald.


To Kill a Mockingbird - I'm in the middle of this one currently. I am reading it now because I am helping teach a Jr/Sr High class on this book at our homeschool co-op this spring. I need a refresher! I know I've read the book before, probably in high school, though I recall that I didn't fully understand it. Now I've got to help teach it! :-) Time to study up!


Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - This is one of those classic books that I'd never read before. So I picked it up and read it through simply to be able to say I'd read it. I didn't really like it. Very odd book. And taking place over 3 generations, I had to keep a running note as a bookmarker to remember who is who, who marries who, who dies, etc.

There were two quotes from Wuthering Heights, though, that I liked. Both are related to death and heaven. 

"The thing that irks me most is this shattered prison. I'm tired, tired of being enclosed here. I'm wearying to escape into that glorious world, and to be always there; not seeing it dimly through tears and yearning for it through the walls of an aching heart, but really with it and in it. You, Nelly, think you are better and more fortunate than I, in full health and strength; you are sorry for me - very soon that will be altered. I shall be sorry for you. I shall be incomparably beyond and above you all."

And one other:

" I see, in death, a repose that neither earth nor hell can break, and I feel an assurance of the endless and shadowless hereafter - the eternity they have entered - where life is boundless in its duration, and love in its sympathy, and joy in its fulness. I noticed on that occasion how much selfishness there is even in a love like Mr. Linton's (the husband left behind), when he so regretted her blessed release." 

Interesting perspective - that even in love, we are selfish when we regret the death of our loved ones. They are better off, where life and love and joy are complete and endless. 

Have you read any good books lately? 
 

1 comments:

Katie said...

I've really enjoyed looking at your blog. My husband and I have our first in home interview tomorrow to get licensed to foster :)Thanks for sharing some of your experience!

katie

Post a Comment