My Daughter Sews!


1/31/2013

My daughter... she can sew! 

This may not seem like a big deal to you, but to me this is huge! 

I can't sew a stitch! (OK, I can hand-stitch buttons, but that hardly counts) I'm fascinated with sewing, but have never really tried it myself. It wasn't required in my high school home-ec class (can you believe that?) and I simply never learned. Even though I would love to be one of those moms that sews her kids' clothes, it's just not happening at this stage. I greatly admire those moms who know their way around a sewing machine.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, is like a professional seamstress. She made her own wedding dress. She made MY wedding dress. Yes, she is THAT good.

So I am as excited as my daughter is that Grandma is now spending some time teaching her how to sew, using the sewing machine and all. Bobbin, presser foot, 20-some different kinds of stitches - yes, she knows all that now!


Now when she goes to Grandma's house, the first thing she wants to do is sew. Her most recent project - sewing this heart-shaped door knob hanger. She made two - one for me/dad and one for little brother. 
What's not to love about that?!

So proud of my "little girl" for learning grown-up things like sewing! She's reminding me of my Grandma Nellie, who could quilt and sew and used her abilities to create amazing gifts for her family and to give away to those in need. 
A sewing legacy - heading my daughter's way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment