Quarantine Week 1 Scripture

3/18/2020 

I've been meditating this week on this Scripture - Philippians 4:4-7

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, rejoice. Let your gentleness (or reasonableness) be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I enjoy some Bible study videos put out by John Piper that can be found here: https://www.desiringgod.org/scripture/philippians/4/labs   Through these Look-at-the-Book sessions, I've seen new aspects of the Scriptures come to life. The Philippians 4 studies had been ruminating in my mind for a few weeks now when COVID-19 came in to focus in the news headlines. 

A few thoughts: 
* Let your reasonableness be evident to all. It does seem to me that we are witnessing the pagan world collectively lose its mind these days. Only through Jesus can Christians exhibit a reasonableness, a sound mind, that is evident to the watching world. 
* The Lord is near. Whether I live to be 100 or not even life to see tomorrow, the Lord is near. He is at hand. My being with Him is at hand. That should affect how I live whatever hours/days/years I have left on this earth and I should be preparing for what comes next. 
* While reasonableness is what the world should see, what is evident to God is my prayers and my thankfulness. That's a challenge! 
* Only the peace of God (given from the God of peace) can guard my heart (my emotions) and my mind (my thoughts) from all of the crazy ways this world wants to sway them. I need guarding! I need that peace! 

I am so thankful that God's Word is living and active, speaking into our very lives!

0 comments:

Post a Comment