A New Story: Cancer, Part 4

 11/25/2020

After surgery, I spent 6 weeks recovering and preparing for the next phase of cancer treatment. For most of this time, I was taken off of all thyroid-regulating medication and all over-the-counter meds and vitamins and supplements. All of that meant that I felt very not-like-myself. 

The thyroid affects many different body functions. Without regulation, my metabolism was off and I gained over 10 pounds. Without regulation, my body temp was off and I felt cold most of the time (which is unusual for me). Without regulation, I had headaches almost daily and I struggled to sleep well at night. Without regulation, I felt moody and irritable and overly stimulated by noise and activity. 

Finally it was time for the second phase of cancer treatment: radioactive iodine treatment (RIT). During this time, I was given two radioactive iodine pills at the hospital. Then I was sent home to quarantine for 7 days, staying away from all people and pets. I ended up staying home while my husband and kids took a stay-away-cation. It was a very odd time, as I was alone for an extended period of time for the first time since having children. I had to be careful in my own home with what I touched because I myself was radioactive. Before my family returned, every surface I had touched had to be cleaned well in order to not spread any radioactivity to them (and thus damage their thyroids). 

I used the time to watch a few movies, to read a lot of disposible magazines, and to just process this whole cancer journey. It was eerily quiet in my home with no children or even our pet parakeet to make any noise, so I often put on a music playlist to have something to listen to. 

At the end of this treatment I returned to the hospital for a full-body cancer scan. And the results were... I am cancer free! Between the surgery and the RIT, all the thyroid cancer that was in my body was removed or killed. Oh happy day! 

I will of course have to follow up regularly with my doctors and probably undergo a cancer scan annually for the rest of my life. But the long-term prognosis after having this type of cancer is very positive, with most people going on to live long, cancer-free lives. 

Three months to the day that I first heard "You have cancer," I now heard the words "You are cancer free." Three crazy months. Three months of cancelled-everything in order to focus on my health. Three months of friends and family delivering meals and cards and flowers and a dozen other ways of showering us with love and concern. Three months of God's faithfulness. Three months of learning to trust in God's sovereign timing. 

I realize that every cancer story is unique and certainly not all have a happy or quick ending. But for now, we rejoice, give thanks, and sing of the faithfulness of God. We are also trying to lean in to actually learn the lessons He had for us during this unique season.

Cancer changes a lot of things. But God is bigger than cancer. I have lived through cancer and can testify that He is bigger and stronger and more powerful than even this big, scary disease called cancer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment